WHAT WE DO
During Computer class PK - 8th Grade students dive into the history and importance of technology and internet safety. Here they can express their thoughts, feelings and creative side through digital storytelling, animation, photographic digital design, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Photoshop.
THE SOFTWARE WE USE FALLS UNDER ONE OF THESE MAIN CATEGORIES:
- Early Learning – Designed for preschool children who cannot yet read or write. These programs teach subjects such as the alphabet, numbers, colors, behavior, and cause and effect.
- Thinking and Problem Solving – Involves teaching logical and strategic thinking, or building memory skills. Generally, these types of programs are designed for school-age children, but some are appropriate for preschool or primary grades.
- Multi-Subject – Organized by grade level, and teaches about various subjects all within one story line.
- Music and Creativity – Can be used with children of all ages. Music programs allow children to virtually play an instrument or to compose music. Other creativity software includes art programs that allow children to draw, paint, or tell a story based on cues in the program.
- Skill Programs – Build specific skills, such as math or language. These programs are for school-age children who already know how to read and do some basic math.
- Knowledge Programs – Build subject knowledge, for example geography or history. These programs are also most appropriate for school-age children.
- Simulation Learning – Puts children in situations that simulate real life. For example, allowing children to explore a jungle, go on a camping adventure, or experience a variety of other situations.
THE WEBPAGES WE USE FALLS UNDER ONE OF THESE CATEGORIES:
- Literacy Development (i.e. read-aloud stories)
- Cognitive Skills (i.e. reasoning, intuition, and perception activities)
- Critical Thinking Skills (i.e. research activities and learning to draw conclusions)
- Social Skills (i.e. working together on shared tasks)
- Computer Literacy Skills (i.e. working on the computer and the Internet helps children begin building computer skills)